Sunday, March 30, 2008

Setting a Budget for your Wedding

by SugSpc

I've already started planning my wedding about a month ago. I started with a budget. How much can I afford to spend? If you are lucky maybe a family member will help you with costs. For me, this is my second wedding so my fiancee and I are paying for pretty much the whole thing. This has it's benefits since we both decide what we want. If you have your mother or mother-in-law paying for the wedding you might get stuck with what they like.

Once you have an idea of how many people you want to invite you are ready to set a budget. I wanted to keep my budget to around $4,000.00 or less. I'm sure your thinking, wow that's a lot of money! For a wedding that's a drop in the bucket! You will be amazed at how much things can add up to a $10,000.00 wedding or more.

Setting up a budget can be easy. I used the website The Knot.com. They have a budget tracker that is easy to follow and free to set up. They give you the basic items that will add up in your wedding such as; rings, cake, caterers, photographers, wedding gown, bridesmaid gowns etc. You can use other websites that offer the same budget tracker or just use excel spreadsheet. What ever way is easier for you to keep costs down and know what your spending.

Once you have an idea of what you want for your wedding figure out ways to cut costs. Do you know anyone who could cater your wedding? Take photographs? Bake you a cake? Your friends and family is a good way to find out what kind of skills or careers they have. For my wedding I have a friend who is a sous chef that will cater my cocktail type reception and another who does photography on the side. Think about what's important and what's not. If having a reception at a fancy hotel vs. having the reception at your local park is more important then you may need to think about readjusting your budget and cut back on other areas.

Written by
http://www.bigfatcheapwedding.com/

Don't forget to download Indocquent's free social bookmark utility at http://www.indocquent.com/social_bookmark/social_bookmark_landingpage.html.

No comments: